Well, the weather was far easier on us then I feared. However, I waited a little longer than expected before departing and fear that I may have annoyed several people who came down to see us off at midday in Ulladulla. The ship was ready to go, but alas the weather was not. With sailing Duyfken, one hopes to sail as much as possible, so the reality of waiting for wind and tide becomes a reality. There were no tidal issues in getting out of Ulladulla Harbour, but with the wind still blowing fifteen knots from the south I was hesitant to go. Finally, I decided the time had come to be decisive. The wind had started to swing east of south, the glass was starting to fall, so it just felt right. At around two o’clock the crew cast off the lines and we slipped out of the inner harbour. There was still quite a swell rolling up the coast and one could definitely feel it as we motored out of the bay to get clear enough of the land to sail. The wind wasn’t quite east enough to be of use, but was dying away to nothing so it was only the three to four meter swell we had to contend with as the vessel motored out to sea. After two hours of motoring I felt comfortable that we had enough of a buffer zone to start sailing. The engines were disengaged and all crew called to hoist the sails. The ship was rolling around more than she had for the whole month the current volunteers have been aboard, and the sea did manage to drain the colour from a few faces, especially those sent aloft to loose the topsails. Nonetheless, the serenity of peacefulness is always immense when the engines are shut off. The sails were set and we started along at a slow one and a half knots. Although there was little wind, it was still swinging into the east and we were able to make a good track, heading south - south west towards Montague Island. Slowly through the night our speed picked up and by morning the ship’s speed was up to six knots, which is a fine speed to be pushing 140 tonnes through the water. This was the speed we required as an average if we were going to be able to make Two-fold Bay by nightfall as a southerly change was due. The morning weather report had weakened the southerly that was due, so I was less concerned about it, but still liked the idea of waiting for it by nightfall at anchor, rather than endeavouring to sail south down the coast. We were lucky for the weather held well and although our speed fluctuated a bit we managed to maintain enough speed to start approaching the entrance of Two-fold Bay by five o’clock. However, the closer we got to the land the more the wind died out. Finally, with everything set we were doing a grand speed of one knot. I could sense we were failing in our attempts to be anchored before dark. As such, dinner was brought forward and eaten quickly before we lowered all sail and motored the last two miles to the anchorage. It looked as though it was going to be a quiet night, alas it was not the case as a southerly front was due. Once again not the deepest night’s sleep was had. At six thirty the next morning I was called by the night watch for a gust had got the vessel moving. There wasn’t much wind but enough for her to drag her anchor. So the engineer flashed up the engines and moved to a new anchorage further over towards Boydtown. We spent several hours preparing the ship for it’s arrival into Eden, due at 1130. Finally, I made a last minute decision to try and sail off the anchorage for the southerly wind was still holding a nice breeze. Not a breeze that was blowing too strongly to make it difficult and also not too lightly to be unmanageable. I was keen to attempt a better result than our rather interesting one off Jervis Bay. This time both main and fore topsails were loose. The crew hauled up on the anchor cable to pull the ship up on the anchor, the loose topsails creating a bit more windage and making the haul a bit harder. As soon as the anchor was a peak, the crew backed the fore yard, and sheeted home the port side of the fore topsail. The cable was hard work as the anchor broke off the bottom. The bars on the windlass were needed to assist as the anchor was pulled to the waterline. The fore topsail was sheeted home on starboard and then the yard hoisted, leaving the sail aback on a port tack. This forced the ship’s head to pay off to port. The main topsail was then set as the fore was braced around. Under the press of two topsail’s steerageway was gained and Duyfken started to move forward. The anchor was by now up to the waterline where it was to stay until we were alongside. The ship slowly sailed across the bay towards the gathering crowd on the wharf keenly awaiting our arrival. Once the topsails were clewed up and the lines were fast then I jumped ashore for a quick informal civic function on the wharf. The Mayor Tony Allen was there along with several councillors from the local council. Greg Nairn, the federal member for Eden and Monaro, was also there along with Andrew Constance, the state member for Bega. Ben Cruse was there representing the local indigenous community, whom I presented a message stick to. Also present was Jamie Boulter, a local eight year old, representing the Dutch community. The crew meanwhile got the ship ready to open to the public and prepare the ship for it’s stay in Eden.