We departed Wollongong at the bright time of seven in the morning, as I needed high water to get out of the harbour, and with a rather ambiguous weather report I was keen to get under way while the wind was still from the north. I did find a strange sort of amusement in the weather report that mentioned that; ‘there is strong disagreement as to what the trough will do.’ Once out of the harbour we hoisted the foresail and mainsail, and with the wind on the quarter headed off at a very comfortable six and a half knots. The wind slowly started to ease as we passed Kiama. So the main topsail was hoisted, then the yards were squared up and we headed south. I was hoping I would be able to hold the speed up enough to get down to Ulladulla that night, and slip into port in front of the southerly developments from the trough. However, as we passed Jervis Bay then reports came that a southerly change was coming up the coast already. So I made the decision to run into Jervis Bay and hide for the night. As we braced up to try and lay the entrance of Jervis Bay clouds started growling ominously on the horizon. So all hands were called and we got the topsail in as quickly as we could, followed by both of the lower sails. Just as we were getting the lowers in the wind swung around to the south at about 25 to 30 knots. However, we had the sails under control and the engines running so were able to ride out the wind shifts as we headed into the bay. The wind swung around all over the place for a while, then died completely. Leaving me with a feeling of uncertainty as to which direction the wind was going to come in from. So I anchored in Darling Road, thinking southerly as being the most likely direction. Though the first time we dropped the pick she didn’t come up well at all. So we pulled the anchor up and had a second go. As we were playing with the anchor a navy frigate, F155 – HMAS Ballarat, pulled up astern of us and anchored for part of the night. It turned out to be a quiet night, but I had a restless night, for one never sleeps that well when a change is expected, especially if the met office cannot reach an agreement amongst themselves as to what the outlook will be like. The next morning there was a light south westerly blowing, so I decided that since the crew had done such a good job of hauling up the anchor the previous day, I would make it a little more challenging for them and try and sail off as well. I was a little concerned that using the foresail while hauling and then landing the anchor would make the foredeck a bit complicated. So I tried with the idea that I should be able to sail her off under fore topsail alone. So the lower yard was hauled up and the foretopsail loose ready to drop. The crew lined up on the deck and hauled away on the cable to bring the ship up to the anchor. It had been quite a deep drop at 18m, so it was a hard haul. As soon as the anchor was a peak we braced the fore lower yard around to port but it was not enough, for the ship was already paying off to port. I set the fore topsail once the anchor had broken off the bottom and just went with the ship paying off to port; trying to box the ship off the wind with the topsail and helm. Meanwhile we had brought the anchor to the waterline but unfortunately, the cable had twisted itself around one of the flukes. So there was quiet a bit of sorting out to do, with a burton used to take the weight of the anchor on the fluke so that the cable could be untangled. Meanwhile my attempt to get the ship to pay off under the fore topsail was stalling. The ship had boxed off so that the wind was abeam but as soon as I braced the topsail round to try and gain way on the ship and keep her turning downwind, then the windage of the poopdeck would round the ship back up into the wind again. I wasn’t quite winning. So the foretopsail was backed around again, and vessel lay abeam to the wind and slowly drifted sideways out into the bay. This kept the foredeck clear enough for the bower anchor to be hoisted by both fore and main burtons back into its resting place on the foredeck. As soon as the anchor was landed, the bosun laid aloft and dropped the gaskets off the foresail. For I needed more power in the forward part of the ship to get her to properly pay off. So the foresail was set aback to push the bow further off the wind. Then the fore yards were braced around and we ran down wind out towards the entrance of the bay. So all my original plans for sailing off the anchor hadn’t quite worked, but we had managed to successfully sail off without use of engines. Alas, with a south westerly wind blowing, our chances of heading south from Jervis Bay under sail were pretty much non existent. So as we exited the heads we then pulled the sails in and started the donk, with a planned arrival in Ulladulla of 1700. Apparently, there was quite a crowd gathered to see us come in, so it would be terrible to disappoint them.