This morning, just on sunrise, we finally got a breeze that would let us stand out off the lee shore that we have been on ever since leaving Cairns – and we can’t use it. The frustration is almost overwhelming, having used most of our fuel again, we are down to less than 25% capacity and we are closing the coast to head in to Mooloolaba to bunker there. A nice SW’ly breeze, filling in nicely is of course now a headwind as we stand in. I often wonder how much we are shortening the life of the ship with all this motoring. As I write this, everything is shuddering and vibrating around me, even at economical revs, the rig whipping and straining as we roll and pitch, even easily. The last journal entry left us plodding out to sea of Gladstone. The following morning, Thursday, found us off Lady Elliot Island, the last part of the Great Barrier Reef, and finally we get a favourable breeze, a light NE’ly coming up. We quickly make sail, but it turns out to be a tease only and we are soon becalmed again. Reluctantly we get under power again and continue to work south in calm conditions. I reduce revs even more, trying to eke out the fuel, at least in conditions like this we are getting most value for the fuel burnt, the ship slipping along at about 5 knots. All the time I try and edge seaward to gain some sea room for when the breeze returns. It does at about 1600, the forecast NE’ly sea breeze? No – SE’ly. Nevertheless we get under sail and manage to weather Breaksea Spit and are doing well to get past Sandy Cape when the other enemy, the flood tide kicks in and sets us strongly towards Sandy Cape Shoal. Not wanting to join the SS Marloo that was wrecked here, almost to the day, 92 years ago, we motor sail under the courses for 2 hours during the first watch, shutting the engines off again at 2220. The steamship Marloo, Capt WC Provo, on a voyage from Mackay to Brisbane, was beached near Waddy Point after striking Sandy Cape shoal on the 27th Sept 1914. Although we cleared the shoal, we were not going to weather Waddy Point, a prominent headland to the south of Sandy Cape. 2 miles off the land and with the breeze now veering more into the south, we tacked just before 0400 and stood out on a starboard tack. Gaining an offing, we tacked again at 0800 and this time weathered the point, making SSW now on the port tack. All through the day we edged along the sandy coast of Fraser Island, the beach slowly creeping closer as we tried and failed to claw offshore. The campers along the beach must have had a great sight of the ship under full sail, but the land was becoming too close. Mid afternoon we handed sail and stood out, under power once more, fuel getting very low now, until we were far enough out to get under sail once more at 1600. We continued to make south through the evening and first watch, that easterly wind still keeping us pinned on the coast. It fell light about midnight; we were then within striking range of Mooloolaba and got under power once more for the last run in. A fresh SE’ly change (why is it called a change when all we have had are bloody south easterlies?) is forecast to make its way up the coast later this afternoon, so I plan to remain in Mooloolaba tonight before carrying on south tomorrow.