Why is it that when a weather forecast is incorrect it is never in your favour? After a night of slightly lighter conditions, the forecast gave a slight easing in the wind although the direction still out of the SE. It is forecast to freshen again on Monday so I make the decision to go and try and make a few miles. All hands are called at first light and with bleary eyes they tail on to the cable and we are underway soon after 0600. Under power we stand out past Cape Grafton and soon discover that there is no easing of the wind and in fact it freshens through the forenoon to over 30 knots again. We struggle seaward, pitching and rolling, with spray bursting over the ship, rig whipping about alarmingly, and get an offing out towards Moore Reef. We haul around and make sail, courses (without bonnets), spritsail and mizzen. We stand away on a port tack and hope to make some ground. If the wind had been in the SE we would have done alright, but of course it is not, the wind is SSE and we once more make little progress. In fact we only just weather Fitzroy Island and tack inshore to stand out again. With the engines at slow revs to try and help cut the leeway we stand out again but they do little except make life uncomfortable. Out near the reefs once more, we tack again at 1600, shut the engines off and stand in again. We make little ground again, back to where we were hours earlier, only just to weather of the island. We are certainly getting a good look at all sides of Fitzroy and until we get a shift of wind or it eases enough for us to carry topsails, we will be looking at it for some time to come. There is no let up for days yet in the forecast, until the strong high down south moves away and the ridge along the Queensland coast breaks down, we won’t be going very far.