Progress – nil. You can see from the heading that we are still at Cape Grafton, just a few miles outside Cairns harbour, having returned to the anchorage yesterday morning. On Sunday, we had an early start - calling everyone at first light and going through a fire drill, closing up the ship and operating the emergency fire pump and explaining extinguisher use to all hands. We then gave the rescue boat a run, Stuart and Hugh taking the boat away and testing the new sea anchor that has been fitted. All hands then tailed on to the anchor cable and the new crew had their first taste of weighing anchor. As usual, the sheer effort needed to get the anchor up by hand came as a shock to some and it soon becomes obvious who is fit and who is not. Once aweigh, we got the ship under all sail and stood out on a starboard tack, to attempt to beat south. Plenty of sail handling followed as we beat back and forth between Cape Grafton and Green Island. All hands were called each time that we tacked and you can see from the times below that nobody got much rest. Unusually missing stays, we wore ship at 1055, tacked at 1225, 1355, 1510, 1800, 2000 and 2155. Often we made little or no ground on each board, all being dependent on the concentration and skill of the helmsman. A lapse of concentration, a moment’s inattention and ground was lost. Slowly though we began to creep to the south and a slight wind shift after the final tack meant that by midnight we were finally weathering the shallows to the south of Green Island. Holding on a starboard tack for a few more hours then, we stood out into Grafton Passage trying to make as much ground as possible. I am reminded of a quote by Christopher Columbus as he struggled against wind and tide off the coast of Cuba in 1494 with “Nina” and 2 lateen rigged caravels; “nobody attempts to struggle close-hauled, for in 1 day they would lose what they had gained in 7, nor do I excepts caravels, even Portuguese lateeners” We haven’t learned much in 500 years Another tack at 0310 yesterday morning, a weary crew hauling the yards around again. Already, I suspect some of the “glamour” of sailing has worn off. The wind freshens now and the topsails come down to half hoist and soon after they are handed as the wind increases further. We had hoped that it would fill in out of the SE, but of course it does not, a strong southerly means that we again make no ground and are driven back towards Cape Grafton. Without the topsails, Duyfken tries hard but does not make ground. At 0705, close inshore again, we boxhaul (now too much wind to tack and I didn’t want to lose too much ground by wearing) and stand off once more. The gear is starting to suffer. Yesterday we parted the weather main topsail sheet – it was quickly end for ended to keep us going. Now, the ship tells me that enough is enough when the weather clew of the fore bonnet carries away, the yard cockbills up and the foresail flogs about like a demon. All hands called again, the yard is lowered and the sail stowed. Without the foresail, we have no chance of making ground and the mainsail is handed as well. Under power, we duck back around the corner and return to the anchorage we left 24 hours earlier. Have sailed some 55 miles, we have made none. It was fortunate that we were now at anchor, the wind freshened further, SE force 7, whitecaps streaming across the anchorage. The one weather pattern that I hoped was not going to occur on this leg of the passage has in fact happened. A strong high pressure system to the south has set up a pronounced ridge along the Queensland coast and the forecast is now for strong SE’lies for the remainder of the week. We remain at anchor for the rest of the day, the bonnets are unlatched and the fore topsail yard sent down – that sail too is showing some wear with a hole that needs patching. The hemp bolt rope on the fore bonnet has rotted and it is no surprise that it has carried away. Despite our maintenance this voyage, I think it has suffered from a few years of inattention, infrequently dried and rarely tarred. I am surprised that the small anchor holds us through the day, it must be well dug in as some strong gusts continue to come through. With the strong winds forecast to continue, we get ready the big anchor and at about 1600, weigh the port anchor and let go the starboard one – I will sleep easier with 350kg on the seabed to keep us in position. Of course, no sooner had we done that than the breeze began to ease and Duyfken had a comfortable night. So much so that I had hopes that the forecast may be wrong. But that was not to be, soon after sunrise this morning the breeze again began to freshen out of the SE and by lunchtime the ship was pulling hard at the cable, with the wind now a steady force 7 with higher gusts. There is absolutely no chance of going anywhere south against this and we must wait it out. Maintenance work goes on, there is still plenty to do. Our new clerk, Lee has already brought some order to my chaos of emails and Toby, the Mate, and Vic, our curator, keep everyone else busy as well withy scraping, oiling, painting and all manner of repairs as we wait for a break in the weather.