Our departure from Hillarys was scheduled for 14.30 pm. All newly joining crew received their safety inductions, however due to a gale warning being
in force I decided to defer departure until 05.00am on Wednesday 28th.
Come departure time the wind in the harbour had died away considerably and we let go on time.
Thank you to the City of Joondalup for sponsoring our stay, Rottnest Fast Ferries for allowing us to use their berth and to all the members of the
public who came to visit us during our stay - we really appreciated your support.
After letting go we motored down to the southern end of Centaur reef and then headed west before setting sail. It was then that we began to experience
the effects of the cold front that had passed through the previous day, with the swell increasing to 4 - 5 metres and the ships movement becoming uncomfortable
for many of the crew. Mark, the cook, once again managed to work miracles in the galley and came up with a very tasty chicken and leek soup for lunch.
Our noon position was Lat 31 43.6S, Long 115 23.6E with speed varying between 3 and 4 kts with fore course, fore topsail and main course set. Chicken
cordon bleu with carrots, potatoes and white sauce was on the menu for tea, however mal de mer was prevalent and there were not many takers. Come nightfall
the swell and ships movement had increased slightly and most of the newly joined crew were spending a large proportion of the time leaning over the
lee side emptying the contents of their stomachs.
Thursday 29th September
At daybreak we were 18 miles southwest of Cervantes with no chance of arriving at Jurien Bay for our scheduled arrival time and being ready to open to
the public in the afternoon. The wind was also moderating considerably and progress became slower. However, we did have the benefit of seeing large
numbers of whales, some quite close to the ship and the ships movement being more bearable for those crew members who had previously been under the
Our noon position was Lat 30 35.6S, 114 41.6E and with the wind changing to north-easterly we were unable to continue to our destination and make the evening
tide under sail. Engines were started and we motored the remainder of the way to Jurien Bay, arriving off the harbour at 16.45hrs. By 17.00 we were
safely alongside and changing the ship over to museum mode ready for public exhibition the next day.