The Year in Review
What an exciting year it has been in the life of the “Little Dove”…Duyfken!
Just a few of the highlights worth mentioning.
- From our summer berth at Mounts Bay Sailing Club we conducted 45 day sails on the Swan River, giving our 700 passengers the experience of a lifetime, sailing before a freshening sea breeze from Mosman Bay to the Old Swan Brewery.
- Over 4000 Year 4 school children visited Duyfken at her Fremantle berth behind Little Creatures, as part of their Dutch Maritime history studies.
- We secured significant funding through a Lottery West grant, which will enable our team to.
- 1. Completely upgrade the ship’s electrical system
- 2. Replace all the older flax sails with a full set in Duradon
- 3. Replace the rusting fuel tanks
- 4. Completely re-caulk the hull plank seams
- We finalised our agreement with the State Government for Duyfken to participate in the Dirk Hartog 400th Anniversary of his landing at Cape Inscription at the tip of Dirk Hartog Island. This will involve the ship in a 2½ month odyssey that will begin in Fremantle, with Duyfken to then visit Bunbury, Mandurah, Hillarys, Jurien Bay, Geraldton and Denham. She will then locate to Cape Inscription on Tuesday, October 25th 2016 for the official ceremony before a 2 week sail back to Fremantle.